For which square should a photo be submitted?
If you are new to the site, please have a look at our guide first which should help you get started. The information below gives guidance for those unsure of which square to submit to.
Photos of buildings etc...
- Should be submitted for the subject location.
- If you can specify the photographer position then please do so (if it's different from the subject location to the precision that you are working), it doesn't matter if you were standing just over a gridline in the adjacent square.
- If the subject is marked on the map then use that position - this can be confirmed by GPS position but take the map as more definitive.
- Even though these are closeups they should include a little of the area to show context.
Wider angle shots such as fields and woodlands
- Should be submitted for the square at the approximate centre of the image (or prominent feature).
Macro shots of stones, flowers etc
- Should be submitted for the subject location - if at all possible specify to at least 6 figures.
- Photos of this type will probably be moderated as supplemental images.
Wide Angle Views
Wide angle shots that cover a wide area, depicting a prominent feature but not including any foreground detail
- Should be submitted to the square of, and documented as, the primary subject of the picture.
- If at all possible specify the photographer position in the separate box.
- If the feature covers many grid-squares, an appropriate one should be chosen (e.g. the mountain peak) and that fact noted in the comments.
- Photos of this type will probably to be moderated as supplemental images.
Wide angle shots that don't have a prominent feature, including panoramas
- Should be submitted for the photographer location as 'the view from the square'.
- When taking these shots try to include foreground detail to give context, if there is no foreground, reconsider submitting the photograph at all - would you be able to use the picture to stand in the same spot?
- The location should be duplicated in the photographer position box to reinforce this known location.
Wide angle shots that include foreground detail
(even if a 'prominent' subject is visible)
- Should be submitted for the foreground detail square and that detailed as the subject (in the title etc.)
- The photographer grid ref should be specified as the same location.
- The comments can then mention the feature(s) visible in the background.
Telephoto shots of a distant location
- These should definitely have the photographer location specified but submitted for the subject location.
- If the subject is not location specified then the image may be rejected, similarly subjects out at sea.
'Geograph' images should be all about getting into the square and taking close up shots of the detail. Wide angle views are fine as backup but not as main images.